Monday, October 13, 2008

Recipe: Instant Hot Chocolate Drink

As I mentioned in the below post, one year I gave Hot Chocolate mix as a gift. I actually called it "Snowman Soup" and there is a poem that goes with it that I copied below. I attached a candy cane as a "stirring stick" or you could do a cinnamon stick.

Snowman Soup
Was told you've been real good this year.
Always glad to hear it!
With freezing weather drawing near,
You'll need to warm the spirit.

So here's a little Snowman Soup
Complete with stirring stick.
Add hot water, sip it slow.
It's sure to do the trick!


As I was looking up the poem, I also came across a site that has a printable gift tag, so here is the link for that http://organizedchristmas.com/image/view/636/_original


Here is the recipe I used...

Instant Hot chocolate Drink
1 pound chocolate flavored drink mix
1 1/2 cups powdered nondairy creamer
1/2 cup powdered confectioners sugar
8 cups of powdered milk

Mix all ingredients until well blended. Store in tightly closed container. Use 1/4th cup mix per cup of hot water. Makes 12 cups of mix or 48 servings.

I bought Mason jars and filled them with the mix, attached a cute card with the Snowman Soup Poem and mixing instructions, put some fabric over the top and attached a candy cane with ribbon or twine.

Voila! An easy and inexpensive gift and you can make a bunch of gifts from one batch!

I got some nice compliments on the hot chocolate mix as well, people seemed to really like it. Just make sure that you have the mixture well mixed before you start to put it in the jars so that every jar gets an evenly mixed batch....you wouldn't want someone to get no sugar and just lots of powdered milk. After you fill one jar, I would be sure to remix the big batch just to ensure a consistent product.

2 comments:

Stamp With Linz said...

We just bought some mix from the cannery- hello bulk! Christmas gifts- wahoo!

Heather said...

That is a great idea Linz! Thanks!

Beautiful Basics

Life is about a journey, and you are the only one who can make yours... So, embrace life: the good, the bad, and the ugly...it is the only one you've got.

Here's to being Beautiful, inside and out!