Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Book Club: The Last Lecture


Howdy Folks--

I am back from my retreat and back to the grind at work....sorry I have not been around to post lately but I will strive to be better about it!

Tonight I am recommending the book "The Last Lecture" by Paul Rausch. you may have heard of it, it is a best seller. It is about this man (true story) that is a professor at Carnegie-Mellon and he is diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. At the school, they have a tradition of having a "last lecture" for people who are retiring or leaving and they gave him this opportunity since he was only given 3-6 months to live. He talks about life lessons and things he learned from others. Its a great book, a fast read, and I found it really inspiring in a non-depressing I am going to die kind of way. He faces his disease head on, does what he can to fight it, and is frank with his feelings and what legacy he was trying to leave his 3 very young children who may not remember him.

This is a great bedtime book, one of those books you can read before you go to bed and just read a little or a lot, it doesn't matter. All the "chapters" are his life lessons so its okay if you skip for a few days and then pick up reading again. His courage and grit I found inspiring....and I hope you will too!

Be beautiful people!

Heather

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I received this book from some very good friends for my b-day. I started reading during spring break (I finally finished my other book), and I love this book. So much advice and wisdom to live by. I have been taking notes as I read. My daughter wishes I'd hurry and finish so she can read it!

Beautiful Basics

Life is about a journey, and you are the only one who can make yours... So, embrace life: the good, the bad, and the ugly...it is the only one you've got.

Here's to being Beautiful, inside and out!