Friday, July 24, 2009

Recipe: Easy White Bread

Hello people,

It's a Friday and I love Fridays! I spent last night working in my garage and trying to get rid of things and get organized. It literally makes me want to go buy every kind of rubber container there is and label and stack everything in nice neat little rows....if I only had an extra $1000 or 5 to spend on containers, I would be in heaven! Anyway, about 2 nights ago I tired this new Easy White Bread recipe and I really liked it. I used bread flour but the original recipe called for All Purpose, so just use what you have. I also added the dough enhancer because I think it makes my bread stay fresh longer, but it is totally optional. I know white bread is not supposed to be as good for you as wheat and other whole grains....but I still love it! I only make it occasionally because it makes me want to eat the whole loaf!

Ingredients:

4 cups Warm Water
8 tablespoons Sugar
4 tablespoons Yeast
4 tablespoons Vegetable Oil
4 teaspoons Salt
7 cups Flour (I used bread flour but AP works fine)
2 tablespoons of dough enhancer (optional)

Directions:

Makes 3 large loaves or 20 mini loaves

Add sugar to 1 cup of the warm water (I just use hot steamy water from the tap) and then dissolve yeast in the sugar water. Let sugar/yeast mixture rest until doubled in size.

Pour oil in bowl, add sugar/yeast mixture, rest of water, and salt. Add dough enhancer to flour and add flour 2-3 cups at a time. Knead (a gentle massage) to make a soft, not sticky dough. *Tip: You’re done kneading if when you touch it, the bread doesn’t stick to your finger. If it sticks to your finger, add more flour. Sometimes you’ll use up to 9 cups of flour so don’t be nervous if you use more than 7. It just depends on the day, how much flour I use.

(If you’re making this is a Bosch or Kitchen Aide mix on level 2 speed with the bread hook for about 6 minutes).

Cut the dough into four equal pieces. Set on greased counter top, cover with towel, and let stand for 15 minutes.

Pound each piece with a wooden spoon for 1 minute (gets the air bubbles out). Massage each piece as you form into loaves and place in greased loaf pans.

Allow to raise until doubled in size. Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes (19-20 minutes for mini loaves as seen in the picture) or until golden on top. Rub butter on top while it’s warm.

To store, wrap in plastic wrap and place in a zip-top freezer bag. Our favorite uses for this bread are: butter-slathered toast, french toast, grilled cheese, and gifts for the neighbors.

No comments:

Beautiful Basics

Life is about a journey, and you are the only one who can make yours... So, embrace life: the good, the bad, and the ugly...it is the only one you've got.

Here's to being Beautiful, inside and out!